
The training schedule has stalled a little. Mick has disappeared into the depths of Wales to visit his brother. And the weather has turned cold again - snow on the mendips yesterday.....
I have been reading various websites and blogs by cyclists who have completed the End to End and the training schedules and advice given varies enormously. Some people seem to have set themselves a punishing schedule of two or three seventy mile rides per week. Other sites say that as long as you are reasonably fit and a competent cyclist then there is no need to worry about punishing training schedules. I am hoping that as we are going at a relatively leisurely pace it should not be too much for us. Or is that wishful thinking? I was enormously inspired by reading on the CTC forum about one cyclist who managed to complete the trip in sixteen cycling days despite weighing in at 32 stone at the start. He was a few stone lighter at the finish. What determination that must have taken.
A friend who is a much better cyclist than I am advises that in any event you do get fitter as the days go by. So even if the first few days are a struggle, it should get easier. We should, I reckon aim to get out on at least one, possibly two long rides per week, maybe stepping it up to three nearer the start date. It would also be a good idea to start riding with full loads sometimes to see how we get on.
Diet is another dilemma. On the one hand I am thinking I should try and eat as healthily as I can, in preparation. Better also to be carrying less body weight. On the other hand, if the chap I mentioned earlier lost five stones, maybe I should just stuff myself with chocolate and other goodies, secure in the knowledge that I will be burning it all off in a few weeks time anyway?
Mick is also making changes. He has exchanged bacon and eggs for yoghurt and fruit, and he has given up drinking alcohol, which I think is taking this all MUCH too seriously,
Not to be able to stop at a pub after riding all day in the spring sunshine! No Eden Ale! No Cuillin Black! No Wye Valley best bitter! No local brews whose delights I have yet to discover!

I will have to make Mick see sense or the whole trip may be in jeopardy....

No comments:
Post a Comment