Wednesday, 11 March 2009

Continuing preparations

I have been on something of a spending spree. After compiling such a horrendous list of stuff we could not possibly do without, we need to make sure that the kit we do have is as light as possible. So a trip to various camping shops to get some gear.

Sleeping bag – some debate about this i but went for a higher range Vango three seasons bag which should be warm down to -5, and which weighs in at 800g. Also bought a self inflating mat.

Also bought a paid of Sealskinz socks in Nomad. At £25 per pair these are the most expensive socks I have ever worn, they had better be good. They come recommended though and are supposed to do a good job of not letting water get to your feet. The last thing I want on this trip is trenchfoot to add to my other (expected) woes!
Mick says he is made of sterner stuff and would rather have wet feet than fork out £25 for a pair of socks.....

Taunton Leisure had some nice tops so I have also bought some quick-dry tops as regular t-shirts take forever to dry. Not that it is going to rain of course..
Hopefully by the end of this week all the kit will be sorted and we can then try some rides fully loaded.

Only four weeks and three days to go and I am beside myself with excitement already. Mick says I am getting to be a complete bore. He says if I ask him once more, just once more, which route does he think would be good to get through Cornwall then he will deck me. Hurrumph. Anyway I don’t need his opinion as I have just blown another six quid on the Sustrans Cornish route map so I will simply stare at this for a few hours and say nothing..

We joined the YHA today. We will stay in youth hostels rather than camp if the weather and/or Mick’s arthritis is bad. I also discovered that some youth hostels allow you to camp in the grounds which is cheaper and you can still use all the facilities.

We are not too keen on booking accommodation in advance as we have no real idea how far we will get each day. Whether this will prove to be a mistake we will find out in a few weeks time.

No comments:

Post a Comment