
Route planning exemplifies the different approaches Mick and I have to cycle rides. I like to have the route planned in minute detail before we go – to reduce roadside debates and make sure we choose the best route. And as I said, its a great excuse to spend hours looking at maps...On the bike I will have the map in a holder on the handlebars,(the map turned to face the way I am going of course), the route highlighted and ideally a print out of route directions as well.
Mick’s approach on the other hand is to have a vague idea of where he would like to end up and head off in that general direction, and with any luck he will end up roughly where intended.
I have spent a week looking at maps and still have not decided on the best route to cross Cornwall. North coast (scenic but hilly) or inland (flat but can’t see the sea)? On the roads or follow the Camel Trail on the old railway line? Also, I am not sure how much time to allow per day on our itinerary. Cornwall is hilly and on the first few days its best not to overstretch. Just go to St Ives? No that’s silly it’s only 19 miles out of Land’s End) or go full out for Lerryn/Golant where we have friends we could visit (70 miles on the first day - hideous!!)
And I haven’t even started on route planning across the rest of England yet!
Even worse is the dilemma when we cross the border into Scotland. East coast or West coast? Edinburgh or Glasgow? Inverness or Ullapool? Aaargh. Mick very sensibly points out that we can decide this when we get to the Border and assess a) how long we have taken and b) how energetic we feel. (Cue hollow laugh.) I know he is right,
it would be better to just see how it goes.
Note to self – I will try to relax and go with the flow a bit more.
But first I’ll just have one more look at that map of Cornwall........

No comments:
Post a Comment